Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thought for Today

The Power To Tolerate

Real tolerance does not just mean putting up with a difficult situation, and still counting how many times I have had to endure it. Tolerance means that no matter what stones come my way, I recognize that those throwing them are empty, and so I continue to share good things with them.

If, through my meditation, I am receiving unlimited power from the Supreme, my heart will remain open and I won't count how many times the other person has insulted me. This may sound like an impossible thing to do. Meditation, however, makes the impossible possible. Experienced meditators, who have developed a very deep, personal relationship with the Supreme, and keep the Supreme as their constant companion, display just such a power. It's immensely worthwhile for all of us to move towards that goal.

True tolerance is made possible by openness and acceptance. It doesn't mean clenching my teeth and carrying on, come what may. Repression or suppression of my feelings can cause me all sorts of internal damage, and end in an explosion and damage others too.
Real tolerance is a state in which, firstly, I have to be very clear about my own contribution to a difficult situation. If the difficult situation is signaling a need for me to change my own behaviour, I have to be open and responsive to that.

(continued...)

www.brahmakumaris.com
www.bkwsu.org
www.bkinfo.in

No comments:

Post a Comment