Monday, June 18, 2012

Soul Sustenance

The Power To Tolerate (cont.)

Real tolerance is a state in which, firstly, I have to be very clear about my own contribution to a difficult situation. If the difficult situation is signaling a need for me to change my own behaviour, I have to be open and responsive to that. 

Secondly, real tolerance requires understanding and compassion (mercy) towards others: knowing that at the deepest level, all people wish to live with love, peace and happiness, and that when we behave badly towards one another, it's because we are suffering from a loss of these qualities. That doesn't mean I have to invite another person to continue to insult me, or deliberately expose myself to difficulties. But if I happen to be in a situation where there is continuous assault, understanding will contribute to my power to tolerate it and accept it or walk away from it in peace.

Thirdly, real tolerance is that state of fullness, which comes only through the relationship with the Supreme, in which there is no impact from the assaults, other than to provoke a response of wanting to give, like the fruit tree. A culture of tolerance is actually a culture of forgiveness. When we move very far away from God, tolerance levels run low. The nature we express becomes that of wanting, taking, needing, rather than our original nature, which is for giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment