Thursday, May 3, 2012

Soul Sustenance

Understanding The True Self And The False Self (cont.) 

The illusory (false) self is made up of desires that, even when fulfilled, fail to add value, or a sense of worth to the self. In fact, quite the opposite process happens. 

Let us examine some of these illusions and how they give us a mistaken sense of value. 

Illusion (False emotion): Ego 
Thought: I know, I am 
Result: Arrogance, inflexibility, controlling others 

Illusion (False emotion): Anger 
Thought: I expect 
Result: Force, aggression 

Illusion (False emotion): Attachment 
Thought: I own, It's mine 
Result: Insecurity, possessiveness, jealousy 

Illusion (False emotion): Greed 
Thought: I want, I need 
Result: Emptiness, wanting, dissatisfaction 

Illusion (False emotion): Lust 
Thought: I desire 
Result: Exploitation, misuse, emotional dependence 

These are the five fires that burn away the quality of human life: uncontrolled emotions that once, in their original pure state, gave happiness and peace to the individual but now create only emptiness and sorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment